Skip to main content

Ginger and Chocolate Biscuits

Hi guys!
This is a really nice recipe, which I found in a cookbook in my kitchen (a really old one without a publisher written on it!) and I came across a recipe for 'biscuits'. They could have came up with something more original! Anyway, I tried that recipe but the biscuits were very plain and boring, so I decided to spice it up a little (I actually used spices) ;)

Here is the recipe I use (which is half from the book and half from me!)

Makes about 18 biscuits (it depends on the cookie cutter you use, really)

For the biscuits:
350g plain flour
3 teaspoons of ground ginger, or 4 teaspoons if you're a ginger lover!
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
100g butter
175g soft light brown sugar
1 egg
4 tablespoons of golden syrup

For the chocolate icing (don't really know what to call it!):
165g milk/dark chocolate (whichever you prefer)
Handful of sprinkles

Heat your oven to 180C, 350F gas mark 4.
Storage:Keep in an airtight container and eat within six days.

1. Dip a paper towel in some margarine/butter and rub it over to baking trays to grease them. Then, turn on your oven (Instead of greasing it, I just used baking paper)

2. Sift the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into chunks and add it to the bowl.

3. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips, until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Then stir in the sugar.

4. Break the egg into a small bowl. Add the golden syrup to the egg and use a fork to beat them together well.

5. Stir the eggy mixture into the flour. Mix everything together with a metal spoon until it makes a soft dough.

6. Sprinkle a clean surface with flour and put the dough onto it. Stretch the dough by pushing it away from you.

7. Fold the dough in half. Turn it and push it away from you again. Continue this method until the dough is smooth.

8. Cut the dough in half. Sprinkle a little more flour on your surface. Roll out the dough until it is your preferred size. (I kept them thick, but I've made them many times and it works fine both ways, thick or thin)

9. Use cookie cutters to cut the shapes from the dough. Then, lift the shapes onta the caking trays.

10. Roll out the other half of the dough and cut shapes from it. Squeeze the scraps to make a ball. Roll it out and cut more shapes.

11. Put the baking trays into your oven and bake for 12-16 minutes. They will turn golden brown.

12. Leave the biscuits on the trays for a few minutes. Then, lift them onta a wire rack. Leave them to cool.

13. Once they are cool, Break your chocolate into small pieces. Put them into a microwavable bowl and put it in the microwave for twenty seconds. Stir with a fork, and put it back into the microwave. Continue putting it in for twenty seconds and taking it out to stir until it has melted. Then dip each biscuit into the chocolate.

14. Sprinkle some sprinkles on top of each. Enjoy!

The  biscuits were already eaten by the time I wrote this up, so there is no pictures. I'll add the pictures to my next update. Sorry!

Quote of the post:


Meain Girl- going back to real life xxx


Comments

  1. Hey Meain Girl! It's ThePastryPoet :). You commented on my blog earlier and you were so sweet, so I just had to come and check out yours!
    You know, I have actually been looking for this type of recipe for a long time, I'm sure it's great! Keep going girl, I'm definitely following you.
    Also, I didn't get your email :(. Mind re sending it?
    Keep it up! Love the layout and content.
    ThePastryPoet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ThePastryPoet! I re-sent the email, so hopefully you'll get it this time! Prepare for it, it's very long!
      MG xxx

      Delete
    2. Ugh I was looking forward to it so much, but it still hasn't come!
      Can you send it just one more time at thepastrypoet@gmail.com?
      And don't worry, in my case, the longer the better :)
      ThePastryPoet

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I've written a SHORT STORY!!!

So I have written a short story about a girl, and she loves music. I hope you enjoy it! EEEEK! I really enjoyed writing it. The title is based on a line the song "American Pie" by Don McLean. If you spot any mistakes, just comment below. And tell me what you think in the comments! 


THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED  By Meain Girl The traffic on the way home was terrible. I was so bored in the bus, I actually got all my homework done. When I got off the bus, I ran home, opened the door and went upstairs, taking the usual two steps at a time. I ran into my room, grabbed my guitar and started to practice the song me and Edmond wrote. Me and Edmond have been best friend’s since I moved into the neighbourhood. He lives on the street behind me, so it’s easy to keep in touch. While I was in the middle of thinking what to put in the next verse, the doorbell rang. I was hoping it was Mum or Dad so they could put on the dinner. But who was at the door but Beth. Argh- Beth. She is my annoying nex…

Question Time...

See what I did there? Very smart, using my new stamp set to start the post.
So I just found my camera and have been taking some nice pictures this evening. I'm so excited that I csn finally put my pictures on the blog, all the other pictures were from the internet. I don't think blogs are complete without a picture, even if they aren't great quality. It's just nicer to go out and take pictures with your camera than your phone, I guess.


So let's get to the topic: questions.
I have a lot of questions, most of them weird, wonderful, or just random. I asked people I know what question bugs them or what question they think about a lot. Here is one of mine:
Why did someone invent smooth peanut butter?I will post the other questions along with my next post, but for now I don't have enough interesting questions. Someone who is eight asked me why his maths book is different to the maths book from the year ahead of him. What?!?
If any of you were wondering about the new sch…

Hello, People of this World!

I've decided to start a blog. This blog.
Why, might you ask?
I moved from a really big and busy city to this tiny island which has way less than the population of my whole school where I used to live. I moved two months ago and I felt sort of lonely, like no one is really noticing me even though no one is here(a few people, of course) . Every where I look, I see the sea. It's like my only friend- apart from my dog Síofra of course.
I feel like if I write this, maybe somebody in the world will read it and know how I feel, or at least some of you guys can be my friends.
That's why I've decided to give blogging a go- so I have someone who can relate to what I say, even if we live on different sides of the world. And I can be myself here, not having to be cool, or stylish, or speak a certain language and I won't lose friends or look stupid. (hopefully!)
That's why I'm going to stay anonymous.
So I can be me and be freeeee!!
My best friend Craftycat (That's not her…